• Shoo
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
8 years 4 months ago #1387 by Shoo
Replied by Shoo on topic Banned for typing nigga on chat

When you look up the definition on www.dictionary.com it says this:

The term nigger is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. The senses labeled Extremely Disparaging and Offensive represent meanings that are deeply insulting and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. It is so profoundly offensive that a euphemism has developed for those occasions when the word itself must be discussed, as in court or in a newspaper editorial: “the n-word.”

I don't know what kind of backwoods cave you were raised in to think that the term "nigger" isn't racist.

I live in Finland. We've never had slavery here. (some breaches of the rule exist and sometimes defining slavery is under debate) You know, that backwoods cave. We've never had any reason to avoid Finnish word neekeri (Finnish for nigger, both translated from the word negro meaning black) outside of americaphiles trying to interject this terroristic way of thinking into our society. Now this is an american server so it is reasonable to classify it as offensive, I see that now, but if you were truly concerned about offence you would practice, I forgot the word for it but what it means is using acceptance to remove the stigma a word is carrying, instead of using taboos. Just looking at your quote you can see that the offensiveness of the word has increased over time allegedly. What is this? Despite the massive thrives to ban it? In fact I would venture to say it is BECAUSE of this harmful authoritarian attitude that the word has its effect. There are better ways to combat that. Saying taboos are the answer is akin to saying that the cure to chapped lips is to lick it. Sure, it might remove the pain for a couple of seconds but it always comes back worse and the next lick is even less effective.
Also do realise that the words racist and offensive represent separate concepts. I stand by what I said earlier: Words aren't racist, people are. I also stand by that I should respect the rules of the server, which I believe I have done and if I haven't I apologize for it.
I am a skilled and experienced PR player who always prefer good teamwork. I would love to partake and contribute to the gaming experience if you would have me.
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1388 by Tequila
Replied by Tequila on topic Banned for typing nigga on chat
Lets change around the situation. I want to know what you would do.
Lets say that you run a server and strictly say "no racism". Finnish isn't my first language, but I find literally the most offensive racial word I can find in your language and use it. When you ban me, I come to your forum and say that it isn't racist because I speak english and the word isn't racist to me. What would you do?

Do you unban me because of my ignorance?
Do you leave me banned because I broke your rules?

Proud =HOG= Guest Admin since 2012.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Tequila.
  • Shoo
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1390 by Shoo
I would not have banned you. If however someone says something that is not accepted by authorities above me I would first make sure that there isn't a misunderstanding of the rules and only after that proceed to ban. If that then gets appealed I would try to reach an understanding which, if understood, I would give the second and last chance and will assume that this person has to understand the rule now. Of course misunderstandings and blatant cases of rule pushing should be separated. Also if the person has a misunderstanding (not a rule push) regarding a separate issue, well, that is a separate issue. This system requires profiling people in logs though a I realise that.
The way I would separate cases of misunderstanding and rule pushing is by seeing if the subject can A) Justify their misunderstanding and B ) Justify their actions in the context of that. For example in my case A) I find racist and offensive to be distinct of each other as traits and B ) By using the word nigger I am normalizing it. To top it of I now understand that you do not want the presence of the word nigger in the server.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Shoo.
  • Shoo
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
8 years 4 months ago #1391 by Shoo
I guess the most offensive word would be ryssä which means a Russian and has given birth to word ryssiä which mean to fail.
  • =HOG= __Super_6__5__
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1392 by =HOG= __Super_6__5__
Replied by =HOG= __Super_6__5__ on topic Banned for typing nigga on chat
im speechless...............i had to type that seeing how you cant see my face on a typed forum. In fact, my avatars expression pretty much sums it up.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by =HOG= __Super_6__5__.
  • Shoo
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
8 years 4 months ago #1393 by Shoo

im speechless...............i had to type that seeing how you cant see my face on a typed forum. In fact, my avatars expression pretty much sums it up.

Is that a good thing or..?
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds