Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Suggestions for Mapvotes

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #3693 by Clean
Suggestions for Mapvotes was created by Clean
I mostly play on HOG because the player base on the other NA servers leaves a lot to be desired, and often times when certain things are pointed out we always receive the standard "take it to the forums" admin message. So here goes on how you guys generally do map votes.

Several times a day I'll see subsequent map votes that have the same map. Literally I've seen 3 rounds in a row where the map vote has included either Muttrah or Marlin, which are awfully overplayed, and not just on HOG. I understand that as an admin it's up to you, and if you want to try to force a map to be played I guess I get it, but it's painful for me to witness it, especially if I've helped seed the server. Go here, (www.gametracker.com/server_info/64.237.49.109:17567/), you can see that Muttrah is always more than 10% of the maps being played. I know you guys are HOG and I know my PR history, but a little less Muttrah wouldn't kill anyone, and trying to force a map you wanna play in multiple subsequent map votes is annoying.

You guys lately have been changing up the layers of certain maps instead of always playing standard, which is cool because we can see some variation, But last night an absolutely terrible Blufor team was forced to play Karbala alt when Karbala won the map vote. I tried to explain this no less than 2 times to the admins playing, but still they figured that it was ok to force feed this poor Blufor team a shit sandwich. Karbala alt has no air assets, very little transportation, and 2 bradleys which end up just becoming a source of constant ticket loss; combined with an additional cache for Blufor to kill and only 500 tickets to do it with. In my opinion this map was the direct cause of the server depopulating last night.

This isn't the first time I've seen something like that. I understand that it can be difficult to predict team strength, but if a team is obviously shit you should either scramble early before it affects server population or consider setting a map that requires considerably less thought.

Another issue, when there is a tie between INS and AAS in a mode vote, you should only put 1 map from each mode in the map vote. Think about if 2 Democratic candidates and 1 Republican candidate ran in the general election; the votes for the Democratic candidates would be split, thus resulting in a loss for the party (mode) which would have likely received the most popular votes. Running 2 of 1 and 1 of the other just splits the votes. And I wish that you guys, when not doing map votes, would allow each side to play as Blufor on INS. This has happened several times in the last few days, where you guys just set maps, and it becomes a cycle of one team being Blufor for AAS and Opfor for INS, and the other team maintaining the opposite role for like 4 rounds in a row. We always used the 2 INS in a row rule because it allowed both teams to have a shot at attacking and defending.

Thanks for reading, hopefully you consider this when doing map votes in the future.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Clean.
  • =HOG= __Super_6__5__
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #3694 by =HOG= __Super_6__5__
Replied by =HOG= __Super_6__5__ on topic Suggestions for Mapvotes
so, they are supposed to be asking the populace for map suggestions. If they are then, are you saying we shouldnt do that anymore as the populace keeps playing the same map over and over?

If the admins are picking the maps, then they are not supposed to do that.
  • =HOG=Haley11thACR
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #3706 by =HOG=Haley11thACR
Replied by =HOG=Haley11thACR on topic Suggestions for Mapvotes
Muttrah is currently the default map when the server crashes so the map appears to be played more than any other. I do not keep track of what teams are blufor, what layer has what assets....I just put in 3 maps and people vote. If someone suggests a change in layers I have no problem running an alt layer. I see alot of players asset whoring and trolling players who lose assets, so sometimes an alt layer with limited assets is a good idea. Im getting really tied of players criticizing maps in allchat too. Makes we want to run maps and layers those guys hate...seems to be working.
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #3716 by MarePop
Replied by MarePop on topic Suggestions for Mapvotes

Im getting really tied of players criticizing maps in allchat too.

Agree,when popular maps are put to vote,people complain that they are over played.When less popular maps are put,then they complain that those maps suck and that's why no one plays them.You cant win.If im running the vote i will put 3 maps of my choosing that will have something for every one.Opinion of people that make animal noises in mumble is worthless to me
  • =HOG= __Super_6__5__
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #3718 by =HOG= __Super_6__5__
Replied by =HOG= __Super_6__5__ on topic Suggestions for Mapvotes
i like the force feed part. Could you tell me the maps you want to play? As marepop pointed out, im sure we can poll people and they would probably find your map choices are not what they want.

If muttrah and marlin are such shit maps, i cant figure how they win the vote so much. A vote, you see, is the choice of the players, they vote for what they want to play and 15% of the time, give or take, its muttrah.

So, what map(s) is it you want to see??
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #3719 by Max_
Replied by Max_ on topic Suggestions for Mapvotes
My only concern about maps, isn't because they're shit, it's mostly Game-Modes, faction between maps, over played maps, the layout is unbalanced, a team got steam rolled hard last round, yet no !scramble happened, the rape goes on and on.

Playing 4 AAS or INS in a row is tiresome. (BUT MUH DEMOCRACY!!!!11!, I get most people are most likely favorable toward AAS.)
Playing the same faction in a row is kinda bad for a lot of people. I saw one team playing Russian 3 time in row a few weeks ago.

Like Clean said, I really like the variety with layers that you guys a doing lately.

If you want a personal suggestion(ish): break up the game-modes a little bit more. But again, it's your server.

I'm probably one rare person that totally dislike the !mvote command. It enable people to spam all-chat a lot more.
Almost half the server population actually vote. The rest either don't care, complain or completely missed the map vote.

I really miss the days when we really had to think for bringing the most variety into a map list with factions, game-modes and assets. But you had no control for what is best for maintaining a strong population back then.
And again people were still complaining back then, but a lot less.

Being a server admin back then was hard, I can't imagine how it is now....
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Max_.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds