Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

A big rant about the mapvote system and admin team, open discussion.

• Kato Megumi
  • Kato Megumi's Avatar Topic Author
  • 嘘をつくことは世界に優しさをもたらすことです
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #31079 by Kato Megumi
Here, i feel like some admins is really putting a bias on the mapvotes, i'm not planning to be admin or anything, but this server has been known for horrendous admin team, but before i rant, i need to realize that admins are human too, some of you probably just got off from work or something and play with your favorite maps and gamevotes and i must applaud too the admins that stay till long nights on their timezone just for the sake of the community.

now lets get into the rant, if the big chunk of the community are here, i'm sure they would agree with me, that some of admins are really putting their bias on mapvotes clearly, let's take an example like "=MeRk= SexySaddam", he's well known with the hog playerbase as a friendly admin, but on the other side, he's known clearly for putting his bias on the insurgency gamemode putting votes like this:
1. I N S U R G E N C Y / 2. AAS, that would really hurt the mapvotes, sometimes people only want to keep playing and pick the first choice, that is insurgency, if AAS won, he would likely put INS maps or INF focused maps in the map pool, i don't mind that, i sometimes love to play infantry too, but the problem is, he would put it in like 85-90 people on the server, like a couple while ago he put korengal valley in 90 players, and suddenly the server population dropped to 40-50 people, it's not just Saddam, there's a some example of other admins that put inf focused maps on big pop or big maps like burning sands and set it to INF layer, i don't mind it if the server is really in low pop and under 40 v 40, but if its 40 v 40, please for the love of god, listen to your playerbase, don't put your bias and choice infront of the playerbase, it's really hurting the server reputation and your reputation.

Welp, that's all about my rant, if you want to discuss more about it, please!
i want to hear about other players opinion.
Kato Megumi, Signing out! 
o7.

YKWIM
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Kato Megumi. Reason: fixing mispells and some words
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niki-Tret
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #31080 by Deleted
We vary maps up, we do not cater to asset players only. Also the 'playerbase' in your context is probably not the 75 other people playing on the server.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Deleted.
More
2 years 8 months ago #31091 by Safety_Off
Hi Kato,

I have some feedback.

'sometimes people only want to keep playing and pick the first choice' - that's lazy bro. if you cant spend the 2 seconds it takes to read the vote, and you vote for the wrong one, that's your problem. (FYI you can revote/change your mind mid-vote)

Timezone. Soooo many people forget this. When we get on, the Americans are going to sleep and Europe is only just waking up. It's always been the case where pop will be mega high, then mega low for about an hour or so until the people have had their coffee's and log on.

Admins have preferences because they are players just like us. But that's why we run votes. They aren't to blame for a mass exodus of players leaving the server. We aren't that organised.

A few years ago when our timezone had no admins to facilitate the timezone shift we had the same discussion you're raising now but it only changed when individuals volunteered to be quest admins. We have it so good now in comparison.

It'd be nice if we were asked what maps we'd like in all chat prior to the vote, but we cant expect that to happen every single round. As you said, they are human as well and will forget shit/ not want to bother with the all-chat spam BS cause 1 dude out 40 doesn't like the vote.

It'd be cool to see someone create a map selection randomizer as the basis of map votes. But even then map selections have factors like pop, player skill and entertainment value to it. And even then,(!) after asking what people want to play and using the hypothetical randomizor for balance purposes, you'd still get people complaining..

It's kinda just one of those things man..

cheers,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kato Megumi
More
2 years 8 months ago #31092 by witek3193
It is impossible to make everyone happy with the vote. Im usully asking about map suggestions, but also i have to think what will be the best for server, cuz ppl are not thinking about it and want me to set serverkillers like falklands when 60 ppl online. Also there is a bunch of assetwhores and they want to play 4k asset maps 24/7. Im usully making 2k vote after 4k map and 4k after 2k map.
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #31094 by migg
well even if its 50v50 when the other team is getting steamrolled 3rounds in a row ofc admins will think the best idea is to put inf layered maps or something like 2k because if u put 4k heavy asset maps it would be literally a 10min game some other assets wont be used as it will end before their respawn time, but sometimes even tho its balance some admins would messed it up like putting tad sae for example and there goes 30people, but other than that i the maps are fine i feel like there should be more specific votes not just like random like vote something 1.snow 2.desert 3.woodland 4.urban or somesht idk, other than that i think admins are just basing on whose team's is getting steamrolled or basing on perfomance of each teams
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by migg.
  • =HOG=Justice
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • =HOG= Admin
More
2 years 8 months ago #31096 by =HOG=Justice
Like Safety said, when we ask for map suggestions, one player suggests a map and you have other players that start attacking him because it's a stupid map...etc. It causes a problem in all chat because now players are fighting back and forth because they didn't like each other's suggestions. You can't please everyone even if that was our goal. It's just not possible.

Everyone seems to forget that we DON'T have to give players a vote. It's up to the admin's discretion. It's not a right, but a privilege. Why do players complain about being given the opportunity to vote on the next map? Would you guys rather not vote and just let admins choose next every time? I don't think players who appreciate votes should be punished for the few that bitch and complain every time there is a vote. THAT is specifically why I kick people for spamming all chat with complaints when they're unhappy about maps in the vote. That is not the place for it, especially for something that you're getting a privilege to participate in.

Another issue in reference to what Mig said, we try to balance teams when we see one side getting steamrolled. Then you get people who start switching sides during the current match when they see they've been set to get switched next round in order to cancel out the switch. You have people moving back and stacking the team all over again. Players are subject to being admined because of this as well with the constant switching that completely renders usless the admin's attempt to balance. Why do people like such easy wins with no challenge? Where is the fun in that? Admins shouldn't have to micro-manage teams in order to make it fair. Most of you are grown adults and should say "Hey, this team is stacked, maybe a few of us can switch to help out the other side." But I guess I'm being too idealistic.

We're not going to put a 4k, much less an 8k map at midnight when the population is 60 players and dropping. It doesn't matter if 90% of the players suggested it. We know the times that the numbers dwindle and what maps usually make it worse. That is why we don't take some map suggestions into consideration.

One last thing, we have players that request certain maps that are always played, then we have players that complain about those maps that are always played. So, what do think will be the reaction if we put up a vote that involves Ghost Train, Tade Sae, Qwai, or Mestia? This will be the reaction: "Shit vote", "Worst maps"...etc. But didn't you guys just say that you don't like that we play the same maps over and over? So do you like monotony or not? See what I mean, no matter what admins do it will never be enough.

So for me, personally, I will continue to do what I believe is best to ensure balance and server population. I do take map suggestions into consideration and I do place them into votes as long as I believe it will not cause a massive player drop. And from time to time, if you're someone who only likes doing assets, you're gonna have to play infantry maps like Tad Sae or Ghost Train and that's just the way it is.

=HOG= Server Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: R1ghty, Resilient
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds