Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING

• Danesh_italiano
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
7 years 8 months ago #7481 by Danesh_italiano
Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING was created by Danesh_italiano
Hello! It is possible to fix the lag/rubber banding on the PR Server?

Silent Eagle, Vadso, Xiangshan, WandaShan, Dragon Fly, Hades Peak, Iron Ridge, Op. Sour Rebel, ShijiaValey, Yamalia.
All these maps have the lag/rubber banding. Even if you have low ping.

Hardcore (on the same datacenter) and DPRC who i know how they run the server, dont have ANY problem with lag/rubber banding playing the maps listed above.

The lag it is not caused by connection, internet or packet loss. It is the "Machine", low "Server FPS" caused by old processor, or may be the PRServer box is virtualized. Some times, when i shot one guy, take 1 second to register the shot. Like, i shot on the guy, and 1 sec later, he die.

I worked in one Game Server company, so if need help to fix this problem, pm-me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pierrethemonkey
More
7 years 7 months ago #7489 by pierrethemonkey
Replied by pierrethemonkey on topic Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING
He appears to be spot on regarding the issue we're facing currently vs other servers - seems to me the issue is about 7-10 days fresh. Long long ago a Minecraft server sharing our box really hurt us If I recall correctly.

Hey you, get off of my cloud
  • =HOG= Moozery
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • =HOG= System Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #7506 by =HOG= Moozery
Replied by =HOG= Moozery on topic Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING
Minecraft was on a different. Weve always tried to keep PR on its own set of resources to ensure optimal performance. :)

As for performance issues, it appears a few times a day our CPU usage is briefly reaching it's limit, which may or may not be causing the issue. Though we aren't virtualized, we do use OpenVZ containers, which are known to have much better performance over VM's, but I could still see it causing a slight performance loss over direct hardware access.

Assigning more cores wouldnt fix the problem as BF2 server can only use one core, so Im not sure if theres much we can do to improve this.

"My brain has too many tabs open, and I can't figure out which one is playing that freaking song!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danesh_italiano, PePaw
  • Danesh_italiano
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
7 years 7 months ago #7514 by Danesh_italiano
Replied by Danesh_italiano on topic Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING
Well, OpenVZ is WHO give us LAG. :D

The lag problem is 24hours.

When i hosted one public server, i tried KVM, OpenVZ, XEN and VMware vSphere. VMWare was who give me the best performance. I got the same lag with same maps when i tried kvm, openvz and xen. With VMWare, the server was the same performance running direct on the machine.

PRServer run in only one core. But remember, still have the SO and Mumble. So, i recommend 2 cpu for the PRServer box.

I know HOG have the server in reliablesite since 2013. May be is time to get a new machine with the same price. IF you consider to migrate to one new machine, choice the cpu by Single Thread Performance. Check this link: www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I really recommend VMWare. It is free, stable and easy to build machines etc.

Sorry my poor english.
  • =HOG= Moozery
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • =HOG= System Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #7515 by =HOG= Moozery
Replied by =HOG= Moozery on topic Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING
Really? I'm pretty surprised, I thought VMWare wouldn't have had good performance at all.

That is a good point about Mumble and the OS, so next time I get a chance I will add a core to that container and see if that helps. Usually our container manager (Proxmox) warns when a container's resources have been maxed out, and I haven't seen any warnings in a very long time.

It would be interesting to test out a VMWare setup. It's something I will also have to try if I can find the time for it.

"My brain has too many tabs open, and I can't figure out which one is playing that freaking song!"
  • Danesh_italiano
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
7 years 7 months ago #7516 by Danesh_italiano
Replied by Danesh_italiano on topic Server Performance. LAG/RUBBER BANDING
VMware Workstation Pro (installed inside the SO) give you poor performance. VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the good one. VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the SO. Let me know when you added one cpu to the PRServer Box. So, i can test and check if is better. Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds