The forum is in read only mode.

Criteria for All Chat Spam

• Reddish_Radish
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #36206 by Reddish_Radish
Criteria for All Chat Spam was created by Reddish_Radish
Hello, ReddishRadish here. 
During my recent gaming session on this server, I got punished for all chat spamming. 
I got annoyed because I was talking about different topics that admins were previously all-chat warned about, and even though I typed on all chat half a minute later, they counted it as a spam chat. Then I thought everyone was not clear about the all chat spam restriction. So I got the courage to suggest this topic to you guys, and maybe we can establish a 'solid criteria' for chat spam rules.

Let me clear things out, I'm not one of those teenagers that complains "I got kicked but why didn't the others? It's unfair~" or something like that. I'm writing this because chat spam is one of the most reasons that players get kicked or banned, and its worth setting solid rules of it just like DOD engagement rules. 

Before we start, we should divide 'chat' into 2 specific topics. 
i) Verbal - mumble chat spam
ii) in word - all chat/team chat spam

i) Mumble chat spam.
HOG rule - 1.4 No spamming mumble, commo rose, Do not play music over Mumble.
It's clearly obvious that this rule is not being rigorously applied to all server users. One that gets punished for spamming mumble has crossed the line - such as playing music even though people are requesting to turn off, or talking too much during the squad staging time. I think everyone is happy with the the application of 'soften Rule 1.4'. 

ii) All chat/team chat spam.
HOG rule - 1.5 Keep the all chat to a minimum.
We rarely use all chat. It's occasionally used for - talking to friends in another team / to taunt the enemy team / suggesting mapvote / or general expression of current game / random topics(e.g. Queen passed away) / etc.  If the admin thinks that the all chat is too noisy, they usually warn the player with !s or !w commands. And one that all chats after the warning usually get punished. We've seen a lot of examples of misunderstandings in the ban appeal section; Player got kicked or tempbanned because they were just trying to laugh with other players, or player typed a chat a while after the waring but still get kicked. 
Even though everyone knows what chat spam is, the problem happens because every admin has their different ways of handling this. For example, some admins use '!w chat' and kicks whoever chat afterward, even if the chat was typed after 30 seconds. Some admins first kicks the guy that spams and then use !w command. Also, admin reacts with their emotions involved - usually a user with bad history always get kicked instead of random/new players. (because that user's nickname is familiar to admins)

In order to make everything clear, I want to suggest a rule - that forces players not to chat for 20 seconds after the admin's initial warning with 5 seconds of respite (not sure if this word is right - there might be players that pressed enter right after the warning and 5 seconds is to save them). A player that doesn't follow this rule gets 'equally kicked'. There can be a moment where all chat is needed right after the warning, and admins will surely take care of the exceptions. 
(I'm suggesting the basics of the rule, and It's the head admin's choice to whether set the time as 30s or 20s.)

This is a online game after all. Sure we can have some all chats. But I've seen too much players complaining and getting kicked/banned for all-chat spam with vague criteria. By setting this rule, I am pretty sure it will solve most of the all-chat related problems. 

I accept all opinions from you guys. Thanks for reading.

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Reddish_Radish. Reason: grammar. I'm not native.
More
1 year 7 months ago #36237 by R1ghty
Replied by R1ghty on topic Criteria for All Chat Spam
If you're being punished for allchat, there are two possible reasons:
1) you typed in allchat directly after a warning was sent
2) you have been typing in allchat excessively and are now on the admins radar.

If you want a 'simple' rule for allchat, here's one: Don't use allchat.
Follow that and you wont have issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reddish_Radish
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds