Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Communication Request

• currahee150
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 day ago #37498 by currahee150
Communication Request was created by currahee150
Yesterday, at approximately 2:25 PM on Dragonfly, me and 6 other people were kicked, and then temporarily banned by Saddam for throwing ropes. The reason given both times was “stop messing around and support your team.” In reality, it seems that Saddam and 2IC were concerned that throwing an excessive amount of ropes could crash the server. An obviously justified concern, but one that we were not aware of until 2IC told us 6 seconds before Saddam banned us. Accordingly, I feel the communication here was rather lacking. 

To give a quick rundown of the circumstances, most of our squad spawned with breacher kits to defend the cache as Militia since the PPSH is good in CQC. Both as a bit of a joke, and to confuse the enemy, we started throwing our ropes on the first floor of the cache. Saddam came by and said something to the effect of “stop that you'll get kicked” on local. Given the vagueness of that command, we assumed he wanted us to stop throwing ropes because he found it annoying and not beneficial to the team. I told my squad, both on local and on squad chat to cut it out and head back upstairs. We’re kicked anyway about 20 seconds later to the message “stop messing around and support your team.” After rejoining and reforming the squad, we attempted to comply with that message by going outside, roping into trees and buildings with the aim of ambushing the enemy from peculiar and unexpected positions.

A few minutes later, however, 2ic stated in team chat “squad 1 stop or temp ban in one minute.” This was still somewhat unclear and so Phantom asked, “stop what specifically?”. 2ic then responded “u keep spamming ropes, u crash server.” Upon this clarification, the members of my squad immediately complied, and within five seconds 5 of the 7 people in our squad dropped their kits as a sign of compliance. We are all banned one second later.

The main takeaway is that admin communication as to exactly to do or not do was completely unclear until literally seconds before our ban. Once 2IC finally articulated the concern, we complied immediately, and dropped our kits to show our compliance. Both the ban and the lack of communication was unnecessary and counterproductive. Players cannot comply with admin demands if the admins don’t communicate what they’re asking of players. Had Saddam started out with “You Neanderthals are going to crash the server if you keep throwing ropes, stop now,” that would have been perfectly clear, and we would have stopped throwing ropes, since, as it turns out, we like Project Reality and would rather not crash the server.

This is less of a report and more of a plea for better communication. I don’t think Saddam abused his position, but his lack of communication in this incident was somewhat lamentable.

Still, we now understand the concern about ropes and server stability, and we won’t be spamming ropes around anytime soon, but in the future please communicate clearly about what you need players to do. We don’t want to make the job of the admins harder than it already is, and we want to keep playing PR. 

Thanks,
Currahee150

More
1 year 11 hours ago #37499 by =HOG= 2IC
Replied by =HOG= 2IC on topic Communication Request
Hi Currahee.

I agree with your assessment that better communication would have been beneficial for everyone.

What Saddam and I saw was that you guys were doing this, then kicked, rejoined and doing it again.
So the assumption was your squad's intention to crash a full server on a weekend as a joke.

During that sequence of events, Saddam and I were communicating, and I had given permission to Saddam to TB your squad for attempting to crash the server.
So I take full responsibility to what happened here.
Considering the totality of circumstances, the TB doesn't seem justified.

Had Saddam and I known that your squad stopped after my warning/explanation in chat, we would not have TB'd your squad.

Sorry for the TB, and we will try to improve communication with players on the server.
  • currahee150
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 4 weeks ago #37500 by currahee150
Replied by currahee150 on topic Communication Request
I really appreciate the response. Thanks.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds