Server Infrastructure

• [CRC]_FORCE
  • [CRC]_FORCE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #17628 by [CRC]_FORCE
Server Infrastructure was created by [CRC]_FORCE
So this is gonna be a post that doesn't really have a clear point of goal in mind but I will try my best. This one is purely created to Improve the server

First of all I would like to state that I think HOG is currently the best PR Server.
And most of that comes from a almost 24/7 Admin Team and that Admin Team being mostly solid.
But there are also some issues here and there that I experienced.

First of all the hit detection: I thought people were being salty (or jealous) to HOG for that, but it is bad indeed.
I tanked 6 shots at least of a MG3 without taking damage, my Medics in my Squad said : Squaddie get down, I will heal you before you die.
And I barely even noticed it, only because of the blood that comes when you get shot I noticed I took a hit.

Another time I shot a HE-FRAG round of a Tank on some Infantry. Took no damage at all at least so far I saw. And some of those were on the point zero of the hit area
Another time I was shooting some infantry with my G3, some died, some took a hit and continued on. So with this I support the thought that HOG's hit detection is shit.
Not just neccessarily because PR/BF2's Hit Detection is just shit, but that HOG's hit detection is 'bad' even to those standards, especially compared to other Servers.
So fix that please ^^ , and maybe any other Server Issues you guys might have and I didn't mention or forgot.

My other point is, the role of HOG in PR's community.
Let's say HOG disappears one day randomly from PR, and every Staff member that plays a role in the Admin team goes with that as well.
We all know, that PR is gonna be in big shit then. Simply because HOG is the last Server that runs 'good' and with Admins on the line almost all day with some level of quality guranteed as well. (Can't say the same for ROG or SGG, BASED)
HOG's role in the PR community is vital at this point pretty much. Maybe hard for some to admit but thats how I see it from a realistic stand point.

If HOG's PR Gameplay is shit (not saying it is) , then the community will see that as the standard and play as such.
If PRTA's PR Gameplay is the best gameplay possible (In case like, if HOG disappears), then that will be seen as the best, and shittier gameplay below that then will be seen as 'Normal or Average' , despite that PRTA's PR gameplay could be argued to be worse then HOG's, which is obvious something we all don't want.

DPRC is working on getting back with new Server Adminstration but that isn't finished yet.
PRTA is only limited 'Admined' during the day. Besides that, it is also limited keeps up the quality of PR gameplay.

(No offense or shit to any Server, this is just my opinion on each)

I heard some stuff about the PRTA having good matches at times or the Japanese Server at specific moments in the weekend and all, thats great, but that won't keep PR alive and running. Having good Servers, Admins and a even better community will tho, like it did for the past 14 years. To keep this game running, we need constant quality gameplay, quality Admins and a quality community (which is the most difficult to get and keep up of all 3) , which HOG tries to provide as well.
Look at Forgotten Hope 2. PR is on the rail to end up just like that, a great game but with a degraded community.

So what is my point with this all?

If possible, HOG needs to push harder in it's Server for more quality PR gameplay, and that happens quite some. But not always. And I understand babysitting every Squad for example, to make sure they are communicating and being productive to the Team is annoying so I don't blame anyone if the gameplay in HOG fails to meet the quality standards, but I would still like to request to meet those standards anyway by any means possible.

And yes this is purely a lazy ass, selfish request because I am not gonna Admin on HOG :P , but I do want my portion of epic gameplay every day lol.

And lastly I would like to say thanks to the HOG Staff, Clan and Admin team for their efforts the past 10 years.
You guys get a lot of shit, more then any other current Server on PR, some deserved, most not, but that doesn't mean you guys don't deserve credits where credits is due.
As I stated before the immense value and role of HOG in Project Reality is Vital to making the difference between a "Mod' and a 'Dead Mod'. And thus I hope that will only be pushed forward and not downward.

Thanks for reading and best of luck!

(And no I have no need for Browny points nor am I here for that)

Corps Commander of Calamity Ravens Corps.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by [CRC]_FORCE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =HOG= Toxic, =HOG= __Super_6__5__, =HOG= Gustafinski, BaconCody, =HOG=Rageblade, TheFuzz, =HOG= Dejan
  • =HOG=Haley11thACR
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #17629 by =HOG=Haley11thACR
Replied by =HOG=Haley11thACR on topic Server Infrastructure

I think what Force is saying is that he wants Jevski back.

Force, Moozery and Lespyd do all the server stuff...Ill talk to them based on the server stuff u mentioned.

As far as the quality of games goes....I understand...some nights I dont even play...I hate to say it but when we banned all the shit players and shit personalities we had better games, but we took a ton of flak for banning so many players...so here we are, almost all inclusive, celebrating diversity, full of idiots and selfish fools..

Im thinking about PMing Jevski and then HOG hate will flow like the old days but the games will improve...plus it will help populate another server that fills the niche, like FCV did....it was so nice when they were around and catered to the fools of PR...get ready you other server admins...Maybe we can put up a HOG castaway server...

There seems to be a new trend among PR players where they need a rule for everything that prevents the game from going to shit....if there is no rule they will ruin the game, then when they get booted they cry about the kick/ban....with no regard for the gameplay, the other players or the server itself...asset whores, camping on the edge of DOD, chasing planes to their main, AA from across the map shooting jets over main, sniping into main, locking INF squads, squads that have a ldr alone...with a sniper kit...its always had a little bit of this selfish shit but now it so pervasive that admining has become the parenting/ teaching of basic fair play, sportsmanship, and team work...the quality has most definitely fallen. We may own some of that. We want everyone to have a chance to play and have no desire to have 1000 player long ban list...we cleared the ban list and in some ways it has been very good but in other ways , not so much.

I appreciate the feedback. Give me some time to think about this instead of just spouting off about the shit I said above....

I need to get with Super, Mooz, Les all the other HOG members, admins, guest admins...we will throw around your thoughts....give us some time and we can go from there.

Ill get back to you.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by =HOG=Haley11thACR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaconCody, [CRC]_FORCE
More
5 years 11 months ago #17630 by Mylamber
Replied by Mylamber on topic Server Infrastructure
Is hit detection something HOG can even control? I thought that was something only developers could change.
  • =HOG= __Super_6__5__
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 11 months ago #17640 by =HOG= __Super_6__5__
Replied by =HOG= __Super_6__5__ on topic Server Infrastructure
thank you Force
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #17649 by TheFuzz
Replied by TheFuzz on topic Server Infrastructure
If I can throw in my two cents -- regarding the old school "Jevski" effect that you mentioned Haley, I think you're completely right. I'm kinda surprised with the stuff people are getting away with these days and only getting killed or kicked for it. When I've asked admins on the spot they usually say it's to preserve the server pop (both at that moment and for the long-term). While I understand this, I think it's introduced quite a bit of mid level toxicity into the game, and like you said, a lot of ruleplayers who need admins and rules to keep them in check. If admins are online and attentive (and to their credit they usually are) it all kinda still works, but at times of low pop and no admins people start to be toxic pretty quick these days.

EDIT:

I should summarize by saying that while we've tried to keep as many players as possible, I think that's driven away more people than it's kept. Furthermore, the people it's driven away are the good players, and a lot of the ones who would otherwise be banned are obviously the toxic ones. Counterintuitively, I think the way to reinvigorate the server is through stricter admining.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by TheFuzz.
  • =HOG=Haley11thACR
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 11 months ago #17650 by =HOG=Haley11thACR
Replied by =HOG=Haley11thACR on topic Server Infrastructure
Fuzz we welcome the imput, u are articulating what we had practiced and believed in for many years...we got away from it to please others and because of a misguided attempted to "help the community".... you hit it right on the head about the population of the game itself...there are so few players now, a lot of them get a free pass that they should not. Quality players want to play together and the other players want to play together...You may be correct about quality players leaving too...I have had the same thought. The rub is population...the other servers have been clamoring for a shot at more players and even asked us to shut down the server if there was no admin on...we got so population focused we became like all of the other servers, but we already had a decent player base so it kept us full in spite of the shit players and sometimes poor game play...I am hoping we can clean it up and maintain a server that runs at say 75 to 85 players at a time with a better overall game with quality players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheFuzz
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds